Private Transfer | Daily Departure
Half day excursion excluding lunch
PRISON ISLAND Or Changuu Island (also known as Kibandiko, Prison or Quarantine Island).
Is a small island 5.6 km north-west of Stone Town, Unguja, Zanzibar. The island is around 800m long and 230m wide at its broadest point. The island saw use as a prison for rebellious slaves in 1860s and also functioned as a coral mine. The British First Minister of Zanzibar, Lloyd Mathews, purchased the island in 1893 and constructed a prison complex there. No prisoners were ever housed on the island and instead it became a quarantine station for yellow fever cases. The station was only occupied for around half of the year and the rest of the time it was a popular holiday destination. More recently the island has become a government-owned tourist resort and houses a collection of endangered
Enjoy a 30 minute boat ride with a view of the Stone Town Skyline, after arriving on Prison Island your guide will explain you the History and introduce you to the giant tortoises.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
- Do not forget your swimwear and sandals.
- Please pack sunscreen and a hat for the trip to Prison Island.
- Pets, Alcohol and drugs are not allowed
- Zanzibar is a predominantly Muslim island. Please respect this when in or around Stone Town. Woman are asked to cover there knees and shoulders
- Please ask permission from your guide before taking pictures of people
- Please do not purchase any large shells or coral from local vendors as it promotes the destruction of our fragile marine eco system.
What is included in the tour
- Return transportation from your accommodation outside Stone Town
- Snorkeling gear on request.
- Life jackets
- Guide, boat, and conservation fee
- Government taxes
- Enjoy your trip to the historical Prison Island
- Discover the fascinating stories of the buildings
- Go snorkeling and find the precious tortoises