STONE TOWN AND PRISON ISLAND
Private Transfer | Daily Departure in the morning Full day excursion including Lunch.
STONE TOWN – feel the history in the walls.
Stone Town is the old city and cultural heart of Zanzibar, Also known as Mji Mkongwe, it’s the ancient part of Zanzibar City where you can spend many idle hours and days just wandering through the fascinating labyrinth of narrow streets and alleyways.
After arriving in Stone Town, the guide will introduce you to all the buildings of interest and famous viewpoints. Stone town and its buildings are full of history and stories of the ancient times when Sultans, Arabs, Europeans and Zanzibaris wrote the history of this beautiful island. You will visit the Anglican Cathedral and the Slave markets, the Palace of the Sultans, Tip Tip’s House, the Old Arabic Fort, Forodhani Park and of course the famous Zanzibar Doors while walking in the narrow streets. We will show you Henna Art and bring you to the fruit and vegetable market. So be prepared for a walk through the long history of Zanzibar and its numerous rulers.
PRISON ISLAND – Quarantine and giant turtles.
Prison Island Is so called because of its first usage as a prison, which was built in 1893. But in fact it was later used as a quarantine hospital and is nowadays the home to the giant tortoises which were banned from the city of Stone Town. Enjoy a 30 minute boat ride with a view of the Stone Town Skyline, after arriving on Prison Island your guide will teach you the history and introduce you to the giant tortoises.
- Zanzibar is a predominantly Muslim island. Please respect this when in or around Stone Town. Woman are asked to cover their knees and shoulders
- Please ask permission from your guide before taking pictures of people
- Please do not purchase any large shells or coral from local vendors as it promotes the destruction of our fragile marine ecosystem
- This is a walking tour, it is advised to wear comfortable shoes
- Please pack sunscreen and a hat for the trip to Prison Island
What is included in the tour
- Private return transfers from the hotel.
- Lunch (set menu) at House of Spice Or at Rukman Restaurant,
- All entrance fees and tour Guide